Rubber Bullets at UC Regents Meeting in Riverside Ends Relative Calm of New Year

Chancellor Katehi Issues Another Message on Pepper-Spraying Incident

UCR-Riot-Police

A group of students from UC Riverside attempted to storm the UC Regents meeting on Thursday, and were confronted by riot police. Numerous YouTube videos showed that they were fired upon with paint-filled bullets and other projectiles that injured several at the scene.

According to a news report from the local ABC affiliate, the protests were more peaceful than most, with people peacefully protesting inside.  However, things started to go downhill after students refused to stay within the time allotted to speak at public comment to the Board of Regents.

At that point, students staged a sit-in and refused to leave.  The Board of Regents cleared the room as UC Police tried to restore order.

According to ABC 7 news from Los Angeles, “The regents walked out of the room, while the students continued to list off alternatives to fee hikes, including the reform of Proposition 13 to help fund public education, taxing millionaires and oil companies and to freeze or cut administrative positions that pay more than $125,000 a year.”

Board chair Sherry Lansing told the students she was frustrated by their actions.

“If your sole intention is to disrupt the meeting, you have succeeded,” she told the students. “If your intention, which I hope, is to have constructive dialogue … you are welcome, and we wanted you to stay, but if you continue to chant, we can’t do the business. We can’t explore any of the options that you’re talking about.”

After forty-five minutes, the meeting resumed, this time closed to the public.

According to ABC 7 News, “A spokesman for the UC system said they do share students’ concerns, and they do recognize that tuition costs have gone up dramatically in the last decade, which they attribute to state budget cuts.”

The additional problems began, according to other reports, after the board members were escorted off campus by police.  Students who had already gathered to continue their protest were then confronted by a mix of campus police and municipal police in riot gear.

According to several videos, these police forced the protesters to disperse, using rubber bullets and paint gun pellets.  Several injuries were reported.

This video captures some of this,  with attendance claimed to be about 400 students and workers.

Katehi’s New Message

In a message in the UC Davis Magazine (you can read the full message here), Chancellor Katehi writes, “Readers of this magazine are devoted Aggies accustomed to leafing through its colorful pages and learning more about our accomplished students, groundbreaking researchers and brilliant faculty who have helped establish UC Davis as one of the top public research universities in the nation.”

“This edition is no exception, with features that include our historic grand opening of UC Davis West Village, the largest planned zero net energy community in the nation,” she continued.  “Unfortunately, we had an incident on campus this fall that did not serve us well or reflect positively on our university. I am referring to the highly regrettable use of pepper spray on Nov. 18 by UC Davis police attempting to remove an encampment on the Quad.”

She then writes, “No one wanted arrests or force used against peacefully demonstrating students.”

The first message that she had sent out suggested that the arrests were necessary, and they were in fact ordered by her if the students failed to disperse, but that the use of force was regrettable.  The second message indicated that she was shocked by the incident.  The third message indicated that she had not ordered the use of force.  Now she is suggesting that no one wanted arrests or force used.  The story keeps changing.

She continues, “As the chancellor I take full responsibility for what happened. I asked that charges against the arrested students be dropped and said we will pay medical expenses for those injured by the pepper spray. I placed the chief of police and two officers involved in the incident on administrative leave and we initiated a number of investigations that will tell us exactly what happened and why.”

Later she attempts her damage control, writing, “As we learn the results and findings of the various investigations, I believe we will emerge as a stronger and more empathetic university. This will not happen quickly or easily. But that process is already underway and I believe UC Davis can become a national model on how to protect free speech and keep a bustling university campus safe, especially in turbulent times.”

She adds, “In the meantime, we cannot let this incident define us when we are defined by so many other achievements occurring throughout the year. I am reminded daily of the extraordinary breadth and depth of everything UC Davis contributes to the world around us.”

Finally she offers, “Nov. 18 was an aberration. You know this is still the outstanding university it was before that unfortunate day.”

—David M. Greenwald reporting

About The Author

David Greenwald is the founder, editor, and executive director of the Davis Vanguard. He founded the Vanguard in 2006. David Greenwald moved to Davis in 1996 to attend Graduate School at UC Davis in Political Science. He lives in South Davis with his wife Cecilia Escamilla Greenwald and three children.