Free Speech and Journalistic Shield or Hindering a Police Investigation?

ACLU Challenges Coercive Police Interrogation of Students at Davis High School –

Art-or-Vand

It all began with an article in the Davis High HUB entitled “Art or Vandalism,” printed in the April 27, 2011 edition under the byline of Alana de Hinojosa, Editor-in-Chief.

The article depicted graffiti and taggers, protecting their names.

Wrote Ms. De Hinojosa, “RSK, along with other local graffiti artists, contribute to the 30 to 50 weekly reported graffiti incidents in Davis, according to Davis graffiti overseer Lisa Buckman. This does not include tags on private property, something BuckmanArt-or-Vandalism said would increase the number of Davis tags substantially.”

“We have an ongoing problem in Davis [with graffiti]. It has more than doubled since last year,” she said.

Davis police officer Jesse Dacandy, however, called graffiti a “risky game to play.” He hinted that the Davis Police Department has undercover tactics for busting graffiti artists, but avoided making any concrete statements, chuckling to himself and saying, “I can’t give away that kind of information.” What Dacandy was candid about, however, was how easliy felony charges could be easily executed.

The article featured actual photos of what some considered gang taggings.  As ACLU attorney Linda Lye now alleges, Deputy District Attorney Patricia Fong attempted to use accessory liability laws to go after an anonymous photographer, also a Davis High student, in an effort to uncover who the actual taggers and gang members were.

According to a letter from the ACLU to Superintendent Winfred Roberson, on the morning of May 12, 2011, “Ms. de Hinojosa was pulled out or her class at Davis High in front of her teacher and all her classmates, and escorted by a school staff member to the office of the head campus supervisor. There, Ms. de Hinojosa was questioned by a sworn officer of the Davis Police Department, Officer Ellsworth, the High School’s vice-principal, and another school staff member about her newspaper article.”

The ACLU claims that at no point was she informed of her right not to answer questions or advised that she was free to leave the room.

In a scene reminiscent of another juvenile incident, the interrogation lasted for an hour and she was not afforded the opportunity to call her parents or an attorney.

“In both these interrogations, Ms. de Hinojosa courageously asserted her rights, and refused to reveal the identity of her confidential journalistic sources,” the letter reads.

The Vanguard was unable to connect directly with Alana de Hinojosa yesterday, but the ACLU sent out a pointed press release, urging “the Davis Joint Unified School District to protect students from coercive police interrogations on campus.”

According to them, Ms. De Hinojosa, editor of the school paper and an A.P. Calculus student, was subjected to unlawful questioning by the school resource officer.

Ms. de Hinojosa, a student journalist and former editor-in-chief of the Davis High School newspaper, was pulled out of class on two separate occasions in May and questioned by police. School officials confiscated her cell phone and did not allow de Hinojosa to call her parents before or during the interrogation.

Ms. De Hinojosa had recently published an article in the school paper about local graffiti artists who deface public property.

“To de Hinojosa’s surprise, school officials were complicit with police attempts to get her to reveal the identities of her sources by using threats and intimidation,” the ACLU claims.

She was not was not under suspicion of any wrongdoing, but police vigorously questioned her against her will and in violation of her rights.

“I wasn’t a criminal suspect, and yet I wasn’t afforded the rights of someone who is suspected of a crime,” said Ms. De Hinojosa in the press release from the ACLU.

Another student, a former police cadet, was pulled out of his A.P. Calculus class while taking an exam to be interrogated about off-campus graffiti. His cell phone was also confiscated. He had recently worked on a documentary about graffiti, which won an award at a student film festival.

During the interrogations, neither student was informed of their right not to answer questions, or advised that they were free to leave the room.

“The school crossed the line and broke the law,” said Linda Lye, attorney with the ACLU of Northern California. “We have grave concerns that the school would allow police officers to remove students from class, subject them to coercive interrogations and intimidation, and seize their belongings.”

The ACLU-NC’s letter, to the District and Superintendent Winfred Roberson, explained that the manner in which the authorities detained and interrogated the students violated several of the students’ constitutional rights, including the Fourth Amendment right to be free from unreasonable seizures.

The letter argued that there was no justification for interrupting the students’ classroom instruction because the subject of the police officers’ investigation related purely to off-campus graffiti and did not further the school’s educational mission.

The Vanguard spoke with Superintendent Roberson on Tuesday evening.  Mr. Roberson explained that he disagreed with the ACLU’s letter and called their report, “one-sided.”  At the same time, however, he declined to discuss the specific incident.

In the letter to Superintendent Roberson that the Vanguard obtained, the ACLU wrote, “We have grave concerns about recent incidents in which these students were removed from class and subjected to prolonged, coercive interrogations, without parental consent or prior notification.”

“Each student was taken to a private office where they were confronted by a uniformed police officer from the Davis Police Department and high level school officials, who used threat and intimidation to pressure the students to provide information about suspected off-campus conduct by other students,” the letter continued.

“Neither student was suspected of any wrongdoing,” they added.

Critically, they pointed out that the activities the students participated in are “protected by the First Amendment and California Constitution,” however, they were “made to feel like criminals for attempting to exercise their constitutional right to remain silent.  Indeed, they were not even afforded the rights owed to actual criminal suspects.”

The ACLU in their letter asked for four changes to school policies: (1)   Revise existing policies on police interrogations; (2)   Train school personnel about students’ rights with respect to law enforcement officers; (3)   Advise students of their rights with respect to law enforcement officers before any on-campus police interrogations; and (4)   Prohibit law enforcement personnel from interrogating students on District property without first obtaining parental consent.

Superintendent Roberson responded, “The District has attempted and continues to shape its policies and practices regarding the questioning of students on campus by law enforcement to cooperate with police investigations, maintain and uphold student rights and ensure that the District itself is acting in accord with the law.”

He added, “Public school officials have a duty to cooperate with police investigations.”

Furthermore, he argued that the district already works to provide “ongoing training about students’ rights to personnel that interacts with law enforcement officers.”

In terms of the question about the questioning of students, he offered that it is currently “the District’s policy to stay with the student during the interview unless the student declines or our presence is prohibited on statutory grounds.  This is required Protocol for Police Investigations.”

Mr. Roberson added, “District policy requires (BP 5145.11 and BP 5145.12) that parents and/or guardians are notified as soon as possible when a law enforcement officer interviews a student on school premises.   However, school personnel are required by law to refrain from willfully resisting, delaying or obstructing law enforcement personnel in the discharge of their official duties.”

“California law has long recognized that law enforcement personnel have the right to question students at school without parental consent,” he added.

Superintendent Roberson further pointed out, “If a student is removed from school grounds by a peace officer, law enforcement is required to notify parents and/or custodians of the student’s removal.  In addition, the District’s policy and practice is to also immediately notify parents of the student’s contact with and removal by law enforcement.”

As we mentioned before, Mr. Roberson declined to respond to specific questions about the incident.  In the past there has been some question about the role that Student Resource Officers play on the high school campus.

“We’re fortunate,” Superintendent Roberson explained to the Vanguard, “Davis PD works with the school district and we do have a resource officer at our secondary schools.”

“I am comfortable with the role that the Davis Police Department [plays] and our partnership,” he said.  “Our resource officer is exactly that, he is a resource for students as well as our staff there at the site.”

The Vanguard also received a statement from Lt. Paul Doroshov of the Davis Police Department, who stated that the department “cannot comment for DJUSD officials or about their staff’s actions. However, Davis Police Officers are trained to preserve and protect student rights…and always follow the law. Such was the case with regard to the situation the ALCU commented on.”

“The alleged facts as cited by the ACLU statement, which relies on only one side of the story, differ significantly from the facts as we understand them to be,” Lt. Doroshov told the Vanguard without getting into details as to how they understand the facts of this case to be.

He did add, “Nevertheless, the Police Department leadership continues to be guided by an understanding that perceptions are often as valid and important as reality. With that in mind, in our endeavors to deliver the highest quality police services, it is our practice to digest and analyze these differences of opinions to better inform us of how our actions might be perceived and, when necessary or appropriate, modify our training or response expectations.”

The ACLU remains concerned that actions by the police and school officers were prompted by the lawful exercise of the students’ constitutionally protected right to report on newsworthy issues.

“Relatedly, the use of threats and intimidation during the interrogations interfered with both students’ exercise of their rights – to write newspaper articles, to assist others in doing so, to make documentary films, and to decline to answer questions by law enforcement or other government officials,” Ms. Lye wrote in the letter to the district.

“In this regard, Officer Ellsworth and District personnel violated the Bane Act, which prohibits interference or attempts to interfere ‘with the exercise or enjoyment’ of federal or state rights ‘by threats, intimidation, or coercion,’ ” the letter continued.

“We expect our schools to educate our children, not criminalize them,” said Ms. Lye in the ACLU’s press release.

—David M. Greenwald reporting

About The Author

David Greenwald is the founder, editor, and executive director of the Davis Vanguard. He founded the Vanguard in 2006. David Greenwald moved to Davis in 1996 to attend Graduate School at UC Davis in Political Science. He lives in South Davis with his wife Cecilia Escamilla Greenwald and three children.