By Alan Hirsch
On Thursday Caltrans will hold a workshop on the future of the I-80 corridor, Davis’s Connection to rest of the World.
It will be at the Blanchard Room of the Library at 6;30pm.
Caltrans will be considering different options to deal with transportation demand in this corridor.
Will they just address only through-traffic, i.e. Tahoe Snowbird? …or real needs of people who live in the corridor, for example, transit needs that can’t be met by slow, limited-stop and expensive Capitol Corridor Train service or the anemic and unreliable Yolobus service.
If you care about traffic on Mace Blvd…or how we can have accommodated economic growth in Davis – like the proposed 12,000 (!!!) trip a day Aggie business park on Mace curve – this is the meeting to go to.
- Will they build something that will encourage for single occupancy Car to come into.. and flow out of Davis by simply widening the Freeway—i.e. facilitating more Bay Area-based Tahoe Snowbirds to burn up the planet as they drive to ever-decreasing Sierra snowpack?
- Will they build facilities to encourage more and faster Davis and Yolo County Transit commuter in and out of Davis, West Sac, Dixon and Sacramento?
- Will they delay solutions by restricting themselves to studying only expensive Causeway widening options that will be 10 to 15 years to fund?
- Will they use the SF-Bay Bridge Solution: Install cheap “queue jump” lanes alongside I80 before the causeway so buses HOV 4+ “real carpools” get to drive about the back up to get on the causeway, i.e encourage transit riders by giving them a faster-than-drive-alone trip?
- Will they use “rush-hour only” HOV lanes?
- Will they make time HOV/Bus lanes 24 x 7 to reflect Tahoe rush hours?
Please show up if you care about Davis growth and traffic…or the future of the planet. Or better transit service to Sacramento in your lifetime.
Caltrans Seeks Public Feedback on Yolo County Interstate 80 Project
Improvements between Davis and Sacramento
Thursday, November 21
6:30 PM – 7:30 PM
A community open house is held to inform the public about a Yolo County Interstate 80 project with key improvements to I-80 from Kidwell Road just west of Davis to West El Camino Avenue, including U.S. Highway 50 to the Interstate 5 Interchange in Sacramento. This open house encourages input from stakeholders and the community. Community members can learn more about the project and share their preferences and concerns with the project team.
Details about the project can be found at the Caltrans website.