Davis Vanguard’s daily update from CDCR’s COVID-19 crisis
As of Apr. 16, 2021, there have been 49,223 confirmed cases of COVID-19 throughout the CDCR. Of those cases, 48,372 have been resolved while 19 cases remain active in custody. There have been 221 deaths throughout CDCR facilities.
- There are 5 new active cases in custody today. Out of the 35 CDCR facilities, 14 currently have at least one active case in custody.
- Wasco State Prison has the most active cases in custody— 4. The facility has a population of 3096 people, of which 33 percent was tested in the last 14 days.
- Avenal State Prison, R.J. Donovan Corr. Fac. Rock Mtn. and High Desert State Prison have populations nearing 3500 people each, of which only 17 percent have been tested in the last 14 days— the lowest testing rate across CDCR.
- CA Institution for Women has tested the highest portion of its population in the last 14 days— 93 percent.
- Of the total incarcerated population, about 49.7 percent are fully vaccinated, and about 19.6 percent are partially vaccinated.
- Of the total staff population, about 39.3 percent are fully vaccinated, and about 3.3 percent are partially vaccinated.
Note: The definition of tested aligns with that prescribed by Johns Hopkins University. The tested count reported by a facility includes the total number of tests for which results have returned and not the total number of tests administered.
Source: The California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation (CDCR) reports COVID-19 information through a daily dashboard that is accessible here – https://www.cdcr.ca.gov/covid19/population-status-tracking/.
By Julietta Bisharyan, Nick Gardner, Alexis Hogan, Mengyu Yang & Aparna Komarla
Contact: Aparna Komarla (email@example.com)