This report is written by the Covid In-Custody Project — an independent journalism project that partners with the Davis Vanguard to bring reporting on the pandemic in California’s county jails and Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) to the public eye. Refer to our website to view and download the raw data.
As of Jan. 14, there are 3,921 active COVID-19 cases in custody. There have been 246 COVID-related deaths thus far.
- Overall, 34 CDCR facilities out of 35 have active COVID-19 cases in custody.
- California Institution for Men (CIM), North Kern State Prison (NKSP), Folsom State Prison (FSP), Wasco State Prison (WSP) and CA Rehabilitation Center (CRC) have the most severe outbreaks with over 300 active cases each.
- While around 80% of incarcerated people are vaccinated at these facilities, only 50% are vaccinated at Wasco State Prison..
- CA State Prison Corcoran (COR), R.J. Donovan Corr. Fac. Rock Mtn. (RJD), Ironwood State Prison (ISP) and Sierra Conservation Center (SCC) have also reported nearly 100 active cases.
- Across CDCR, 81% of the incarcerated population and 70% of staff members are fully vaccinated.
Source: https://covidincustody.org/data -> Access Raw Data Files -> CDCR
By Aparna Komarla, Yasmeen Khan & Simran
Contact: Aparna Komarla (email@example.com)