Note: As of January 1, commenters are required to post under their full name (as explained below). For now, all comments will go into the moderation queue and be released by the moderators.
Adopted Policy on January 2, 2019 by the Vanguard Board
As of January 1, 2019 – all commenters shall be required to post under their publicly known full first and last name. Commenters are encouraged to sign up and post through Facebook, however, the Vanguard will maintain a manual sign up and log in for non-Facebook users and requests.
The Vanguard may take reasonable steps to determine an individual is posting under their legal name including on some occasions the request for a copy of identification.
All posts that fail to comply with this policy will be taken down. The Moderator, the Editor and the Vanguard Board are solely responsible for establishing and carrying out this policy.
All Previous policies will remain in effect EXCEPT as pertains to anonymous posting.
Amended and approved by the Vanguard Board on July 11, 2018
CONTENT THAT SHALL BE REMOVED
- Hate Speech. Comments that constitute hateful speech will be removed. Hate speech is speech that attacks a person or group on the basis of race, religion, gender, disability, or sexual orientation.
- Insults direct at a Commenter or Contributor. Directly calling someone a name that is or could be construed as derogatory will be removed by the moderator. When the Content Moderator removes a post for this reason, they will leave a note as to why with “[Moderator]” in front of their comment or edit.
- Off Topic Commenting – Comments that do not pertain to the topic of the main post will be removed by the moderator. However, this shall be done at the discretion of the moderator.
- Debating Moderator Practices. An article’s comments section won’t be used to debate these guidelines or a decision of the Content Moderator. Concern about the removal of a comment should be addressed in an email to the Content Moderator. The moderator will keep confidential all email exchanges related to disagreements, and the identities of those raising concerns.
- Personal Comments: Discussions should be limited to the topic of conversation and not focus on the individual commenters. Any comments that focus on personal rather than substantive and topical should be removed.
- Doxing: Doxing is not permissible. Doxing is defined as: “search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet, typically with malicious intent.” This could be the posting personal but otherwise publicly available information.
We should particularly remove such information when the commenter is posting anonymously. Anonymous Privilege: The Vanguard continues to allow some posters to not post under their full legal name. However, that privilege comes with limitations. People who post anonymously who routinely violate these rules may have their anonymous status – at the discretion of the Vanguard Editorial Board and Moderator – stripped.