This report is written by the Covid In-Custody Project — an independent journalism project that partners with the Davis Vanguard to bring reporting on the pandemic in California’s county jails and Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) to the public eye. Refer to our website to view and download the raw data.
As of October 18, there are 51,039 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the CDCR system, 205 of which have been confirmed in the past two weeks. 204 cases remain active in custody. There have been 241 deaths across the CDCR system thus far.
- Overall, 11 CDCR facilities out of 35 have active COVID-19 cases in custody.
- An outbreak at North Kern State Prison (NKSP) developed in early September. At the peak of the outbreak there were over 100 active cases in custody, but this week it has significantly subsided to 10 cases. This is a reduction of 11 cases over the weekend. 59% of residents and 57% of staff are fully vaccinated at the prison.
- Wasco State Prison (WSP) has been experiencing an outbreak since July. There were signs of improvement last week. However, 3 new cases emerged over the weekend, bringing the total to 49 cases active in custody.
- On Oct. 4, an outbreak developed at CA State Prison Corcoran (COR) with 3 cases. Over the weekend, cases surged to 93. 53% of staff are fully vaccinated at the prison, 25% lower than the resident vaccination rate of 78%.
- On Oct. 6, an outbreak emerged at High Desert State Prison (HDSP) with 14 cases. Since last week cases have remained stagnant, at 23 active cases.
- Last week an outbreak developed at Centinela State Prison (CEN). Since then the outbreak has worsened, with an increase of 3 cases over the weekend and 16 cases active in custody.
- Today an outbreak emerged at CA State Prison, Sacramento (SAC), with 3 cases.
- Wasco State Prison (WSP) has tested the most patients in the past 14 days, 49% of its population.
- Central CA Women’s Facility (CCWF) has tested the least patients in the past two weeks, 14 percent of its population.
- 76,469 patients across CDCR have been fully vaccinated, a vaccination rate of 77%. 1,953 patients are partially vaccinated. The staff vaccination is 61%, with 40,292 staff members fully vaccinated and 1,977 partially vaccinated.
Source: https://covidincustody.org/data -> Access Raw Data Files -> CDCR
By Aparna Komarla, Yasmeen Khan & Simran
Contact: Aparna Komarla (email@example.com)